Thursday 2 March 2017

Image bank

(1)

Dash Snow


Dash snow's work reflects the chaos and adventures of youth as he began taking photographs "as a diaristic record of the many ‘nights before’ he couldn’t remember".  This approach gives Snow's images a nostalgic appearance which is amplified by the use of a polaroid as his photographic medium.  Looking through a set of Snow's images is an effect similar to looking at a friends scrap book and unlocks memories of adolescence in the viewer.

I chose this photographers work as I wish to explore using polaroids in my shoots to create the nostalgic appearance found in Snow's work.

(2)

Julius D. High


The image featured above is part of a series of photographs featuring a set of two polaroids with a message below about what the person featured feels that love is.  The use of a polaroid is interesting as it is an instant medium of photography and in that way it can be linked towards peoples answers to the question as both acts take place in a set moment in time.

This interests me as I am interested in incorporating interview fragments and words into my work.

(3)

Collier Schorr



This image above is by Collier Schorr a photographer who's work centres around documentary style shoots but in a staged setting. I find this work particularly interesting as it is generally focused around youth.

the image appeals to me due to the way that it uses shallow depth of field to draw the viewers eye to the subject.  This is a technique which is not often seen in documentary style photographs.  I also like the way that the image is centred around the colour brown giving it an aesthetic appearance.




(4)

David Shama


Shama's work is varied in style but I have chosen to look at his shoot 7Eleven as I like the way that the images have a vibrant appearance and are full of life.  Shama prefers to shoot on film and this gives his images a nostalgic appearance promoting a sense of fondness and familiarity in the viewer.

I would like to create the sense of nostalgia that Shama achieves in his work in my project as well as focusing parts of my project around youth.

(5)

Fumi Nagasaka


The series by Nagasaka features portrait photographs of youth in various natural locations each with their own distinct style and appearance.  

I would be interested in incorporating youth portraiture possibly centred around emotion opposed to solely style based photography.

(6)

Sonya Kydeeva



Kydeeva's work focuses around the real life raw moments in youth from smoking to cuts and scrapes the images give a realistic and gritty outlook at youth opposed to the idealised version which is often portrayed in the media.  This outlook can be see from the way that the scraped arm of the subject contrasts with the flowers in the images background.

I would like to explore photographing these aspects of youth and not solely the pastel perfect representation that is often found in media.

(7)

Ashleigh Armitage
http://www.asharmitage.com/oyster-mag/m6l0bj88e7kciyfie4bzxo26vj1nsj



Armitage focuses largely on body positivity and feminism in her shoots which are often executed through the medium of staged documentary and carefully selected outfits and props to give a hard to swallow subject an attractive appearance.

This style of photography interests me as I am interested in feminist photography and the way that colourisation can alter the viewer perspective of an image.


(8)

Clara Balzary






Balzary's images are a blend of black and white and colorised images as well as images of objects such as leaves and portraits of subjects.  This mesh of styles gives the portfolio an appearance similar to that of a scrap book with emotive images such as the one above in black and white triggering a sense of nostalgia.

I am interested in creating a scrap book styled shoot in my project as I feel that this is an interesting and open concept that allows for experimentation in photographic style and presentation.



(9)

Emily Fitch Miller


Millers image compositions interest me as they are composed physically from multiple external images opposed to with editing software such as Photoshop.  The images from "What Soho wore" are also styled using a passport Photo Booth format giving them a natural and raw appearance.

I am interested in exploring alternative methods of photography in this series so the idea of using a Photo Booth interests me.

(10)

Richard Kern


Kerns photography is interesting to me due to the way that he captures vulnerability and emotion in his images as can be seen in the image above.

This is an important aspect for me to focus on as I wish to look at exploration of self in my project and create shoots all linked to identity.


(11)

Mark Steinmetz



Steinmetz focuses on a bleaker look at the stereotypical vision of youth providing a more realistic interpretation of adolescence.

The black and white coloration in the above image creates a feeling of nostalgia in the viewer as they look back on their childhood whilst the fact that the subject is positioned next to a road shows the way that youth are sometimes left behind in the dust and forgotten by society.

(12)

Maureen Broadbeck



Broadbeck's work is different to there artists I have looked at as it is focused largely around landscapes opposI would like to explore the way that the technique of removing objects from an image can be employed in my series to remove people from scenes as an indication to personal presence in a moment.

(13)

Destroy by Rankin



The Destroy by Ranking project is interesting as it allowed the famous subjects of the images to dictate how their image was altered physically this appeals to me as it allows for self expression of the subject and physical photography to be explored in an experimental manner.

(14)

Martin Parr



Martin Parr's photography is documentary based and often consists of brightly coloured and heavily saturated images with a somewhat satirical underlying tone.  The image above featuring a woman holding a cigarette for example features a portrayal of elegance by the subject however this is heavily contrasted through the white plastic deck chair and blue beach towel which the subject is sitting on.

I hope to draw from Parr's use of bold bright colours to conjure ideas of celebration and festivity in my images which may otherwise appear somewhat mundane or flat due to British weather.  I feel that this will be interesting as it will demonstrate the effect that bold colours can have on an image.

(15)

Eugenia Loli
http://cargocollective.com/eugenialoli/All-Fun-Games



Loli's work interests me due to the way that she incorporates collage heavily into each of her pieces in order to convey a sense of surrealism and other worldlyness whilst still managing to provide a analysis of current world issues and themes.  

 I would be interested in incorporating this idea of collage aspects into several of my shoots as I feel that can be used effectively for social commentary.

(16)

Ashkan Hornavar




Hornavar's work is also focused largely on collage and takes inspiration from texts and films such as "The other side of the underneath by Jane Arden in 1972" which inspired "The king of worms series" one of which is featured above.  Hornavar's style is interesting to me particularly the way in which be blends black and white with colour imagery to create a bold and striking composition.

I would like to incorporate the collage style found in Hornavar's work into my project particularly the way that the collage falls off of the pages "edge" as I feel that this provides an interesting effect.

(17)

Hannah Hoch


Hannah Hoch was an artist in the Dada movement who used collage techniques as a form of political self expression.  Her work often features subjects with out of proportion limbs giving them a surreal appearance.

I feel that collage would be an interesting element to incorporate into my project due to the way that it allows for images to be experimented with in numerous ways.

(18)

Petra Collins



This series by Petra Collins focused on portraying youth and herself in a soft light.  This has been achieved through use of lighting and pastel tones.  Unorthodox shots provide an personal look into the subjects world creating a link between the viewer and the subject.

I like the way that Collins has used colouration as a key point throughout her series as it helps to tie all of the images together.

(19)

Thomas Ruff



Ruff's work interests me due to it's simplicity as it allows for the subject to be viewed in a clean and clear manner by the viewer.  This allows the viewer to connect with the subject and makes the image more emotive.

I feel that Ruff's style would make an interesting base technique to explore further with collage or photoshop techniques.

(20)

Barbara Krueger



Krueger's work generally features a black and white image with a politically charged text in white against red in order to provide a stark contrast against the original image and make the text stand out.  

I am interested in exploring how text can be used in my shoots to display identity in various forms.


(21) 

Rania Matar
http://raniamatar.com/portfolio/girl-and-her-room/index.php



The above image by Rania Matar is from the series "A girl in her room" and documents the personal and secret layers of the lives of young women.  The series provides a behind closed doors look at the lives of young women and the personal aspect of the shoots appeals to me.

I would like the focus on exploring personal lives of myself and my subjects through documentary photography in my project.

(22)

Patrick Winfield 



Patrick Winfield focuses on connected images such as joiners using the photographic medium of polaroids a form of instant film.  This gives each of his images a distinctive and personal appearance as well as imperfect to a degree as instant film is often unpredictable however this often creates the most interning results.

I would be interested in incorporating both joiners and instant film into my project as I like the style achieved through the use of both techniques.

(23)

David Hockney



David Hockney is famous for his use of joiner photography however uses a slightly different technique to Patrick Winfield as he chooses to stack his images on top of each other and at different angles creating a more cluttered appearance however this also creates a somewhat warped appearance giving the final appearance a surreal and whimsical appearance.

I would like to further explore joiners in my project as I like the way that they can be used to create larger scale pieces from smaller pictures.

(24)

Gordon Parks



Gordon Parks' photography is largely focused around political documentary particularly racial segregation and political protests.  Parks creates powerful images through his use of text as well as symbolism.  His images often feature either contrasting black and white tones which create an eye catching visual effect or more muted tones which create a softer appearing image these images often carry a less explicit meaning than his black and white images.

I would like to incorporate political ideology into my project as it is important to me however I feel that an excess of it in any one shoot could distract from the theme of self so it will likely appear subtly in some of my shoots opposed to explicitly.

(25)

Carol Jerrems



Jerome's photography is largely focused around documentary of youth and provides a closer look at youth culture of the time.

I am intersted in this kind of documentary photography as it does not appear to embellish youth culture but shows the reality of it and this is something that appeals to me.

(26)

Hamish Fulton



Fulton explores way to incorporate text into an image this is an interesting form of photography to me as I feel that words can be a key form of self expression so exploring ways in which they can be successfully incorporated into an image interests me.

I would like to incorporate text into my images in a similar way to the way that Fulton has however would like to use bolder text and to have the background image be visible behind the text through the use of a low opacity.

(27)

Jenny Holzer



Holder's work is installation based and aims to be seen by the general public in order to spread Holzer's message to large numbers of people.  This kind of art can be viewed as a form of protest and achieves visually stunning results after being edited through the use of a high contrast black and white filter to draw the viewers eye to the text.

I will be unlikely to create installation work on this scale however I am interested in imparting a political message into several of my shoots as well as using text in others.

(28)

Ernesto Artillo



Artillo is a fashion photographer from Spain.  The above image was part of a campaign and features a digitally composed collage.  Software such as Photoshop CC 2014 was likely used to create the clean and precise end result.

I prefer to use physical collage techniques opposed to digital however I would be interested in incorporating colour into my shoots for symbolic purposes.

(29)

Alec Soth



Alec Soth is a well known portrait photographer however he also has series of love letters which he displays at exhibitions with his photographs.  The use of handwriting in the letters adds a personal touch to them and intrigues the viewer.

This letter series has led me to wish to create a series of scrap book based shoots as I feel that incorporating images into souvenirs could be and a unique and interesting shoot concept to explore.

(30)

Robert Mapplethorpe



This image is from Robert Mapplethorpe's self portraiture series from his portfolio.  The image provides a window into the mundane aspects of the artists life and this sense of normalcy is something that I would like to capture in my shoots.

I feel that capturing these mundane moments in life will allow me to explore the concept of self effectively in my project.













No comments:

Post a Comment