Tuesday 25 April 2017

Connecting essay 5

Artist- Mareen Broadbeck


My image- Without


Broadbeck's image is a landscape image featuring bright colours and heavy saturation.  The image focuses on the blocking out of a building with a bright colour in order to create a striking sense of contrast.  This effect is effective and makes the image more eye catching and interesting to the viewer as it provides a look at how different silhouettes are still distinguishable without logos or texture being visible.  The colour blocking technique here was carried out in Photoshop CC 2014 as can be determined as a result of the smooth colour over the building and lack of texture in the colour block.

My image has been shot on an Instax mini instant film giving it the distinctive instant film appearance.  I chose to use instant film for my shoot as I wished to convert the idea of memories and nostalgia associated with instant film and how a memory can change as a result of a persons absence. This is why I chose to block myself out of images which I had taken of myself and friends as I wanted to explore the impact that I had on an image and the way that my absence affected the dynamic in a photo.  I chose to use vibrant pastel colours to contrast with the dark colouration of the polaroids as well as to convey youthful feelings to the viewer as pastel colours are often associated with childhood.

Broadbeck's image is similar to mine in styling and effect used however the image as a whole is very different in both meaning and appearance.  The most stirring difference is the subject matter in my images of people opposed to buildings as well as the fact that I chose to use an instant camera opposed to a more modern camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment