Wednesday 26 April 2017

Without (shoot 7)- Work record

Basic information:
Date: 19/04/17

Location: My house, London, Harlow
Camera used: Fujifilm Instax mini
Editing program: Photoshop CC 2014 
Camera settings: N/A

Plans for shoot:
For this shoot may aim is to remove myself from images which I have taken by editing the images in Photoshop CC 2014 by using the mask tool.  I have decided to remove myself from Instant film images due to their connotations of memories.

What I hope to achieve:
In this shoot I hope to achieve a series of images which explore my identity as a photographer and the influence which my presence has in the images that I am in my editing myself out of images which I have taken and am in.

I will be using bright pastel colours in this series to block myself out using the mask tool as I feel that these bright colours will help to symbolise my personal identity as a bright and bubbly person as well as reinforcing the identity of youth which I fall into due to the fact that pastels are colours traditionally associated with youth and childhood.
Outcome of shoot:
I was relatively happy with the outcome of this shoot as I achieved what I set out to in that I blocked myself out of a series of images and therefore demonstrated my absence and the effect that this had on the image.  I feel however that there may have been better ways of doing this for example by taking two images one with me in and one without me in in order to convey the same message.

Progression:
I feel that I will not be revisiting this technique in my exam due to the fact that I wish to carry out more collage based shoots however I may experiment with colour blocking in the sense of collage based colouring.  

If I were to revisit this technique I would experiment with ways to improve the smoothness of the line in each image.  I would also choose images where I am posed more dynamically as in several images I appear as a coloured blob and not a human shape.
Favourite image:



This is my favourite image from the series due to the fact that I am positioned slightly further away from the camera than I am in others and therefore have a more discernibly human shape.  This shape gives the image more meaning and helps it's message of personal identity to be better conveyed.

Denotation: This is an image of myself and a friend in which I have removed myself from the image by masking the area which I wished to colour in and carefully filling in my silhouette with a purple brush tool.  The image was shot on Instant film.  The purple colourisation here compliments the other cool tones in the image such as black and beige however it bright enough that it stands out against the more muted tones featured in the image.
Connotation: This image carries connotations of removal of identity.  I chose to use purple in this image due to the fact that it is my favourite colour and is therefore a large part of my identity.  The use of Instant film suggests a theme of memory and nostalgia throughout the shoot which is important as the shoot as a whole is intended as an examination of personal identity and what is more personal than a memory.
Context: This image was designed to symbolise my personal identity as a photographer and focus on the way that I fit into my images as well as the way that I fit into events with my friends and how my absence would alter them.

Least favourite image:



This image is my least favourite image because my silhouette here resembles a E.T or a miscellaneous blob opposed  to a person.  I feel that this detracts from the symbolism of the image and project as a whole and also feel that the green colourisation here does not compliment the image.

Denotation: The above image shows my face covered using the mask tool in order to show how a photo of myself and my friend is altered through my removal.  The colour I have used to block myself out is green which provides an interesting element of contrast with the red of my friends jacket.  I have shot this image using Instant film.
Connotation: The Instant film used creates a sense of nostalgia and channels the idea of memory which is significant in this shoot as I was focused on the way that self can be displayed in photography and a persons memory is a large part of their self identity.  The bright green used here provides childlike connotations to the image due to the garish brightness of the green.
Context: This image was designed to symbolise my personal identity as a photographer and focus on the way that I fit into my images as well as the way that I fit into events with my friends and how my absence would alter them.

No comments:

Post a Comment