Wednesday 26 April 2017

Easter family (shoot 6)- Work record

Basic information:
Date: 16/04/17

Location:Devon
Camera used: Nikon D5300
Editing program: Photoshop CC 2014 
Camera settings: 1/125, F6.3, ISO 125

Plans for shoot:
In this shoot I will be documenting the more traditional aspects of Easter with my family.

What I hope to achieve:
I hope to achieve a documentary series using black and white photography in order to better convey the idea of traditionalism and memories associated with family gatherings.

I feel that the use of black and white photography will create a somewhat more sombre series to contrast with friends as I feel that people have different versions of themselves that the show to both family and friends.

Outcome of shoot:
I feel that this shoot was successful as I was able to achieve various strong images and feel that my final images tell a story however I also feel that I would be happier not carrying out a solely black and white shoot again.

Progression:
In the future I would like to work with this style of documentary photography again however I feel that coloured photography is more appropriate for my exam concept of youth culture.
Favourite image:



This is my favourite image as it uses a shallow depth of field to focus on the subject helping her to stand out against the rest of the image.  The fact that the subject is looking directly into the camera also appeals to me as it allows the viewer to gain a more emotive connection to the subject.

Denotation: A shallow depth of field is used her to draw focus to the subject.  Focus can also be seen through the way that the subject is positioned in the centre third of the image as this helots to draw the viewers eye to her.  The viewers eye is also drawn to the subject as a result of the strong tonal contrast present in the image created by the high contrast black and white colourisation.
Connotation: The rural imagery carries connotations of calm and rural Britain.  This adds to the theme of tradition throughout the shoot.  The fact that the subject is holding a glass carries connotations of festivity and happiness.
Context: This image is focused around my family and personal identity from that aspect of my life.

Least favourite image:



This image is my least favourite image due to the fact that the ducks are not clearly recognisable in the image.  This makes the images subject unclear to the viewer.

Denotation: The above image uses high contrast black and white colorisation in order to create an eye catching image due to the tonal contrast present.  The image has been shot in landscape orientation and is absent of an apparent subject.
Connotation: The rubber ducks floating in the river carry connotations of Easter and fun however they are not very easily visible due to their size and the lens used on my camera.
Context: This image is focused around my family and personal identity from that aspect of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment